Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Welcome to the underground
Posted by: (68.96.68.---)
Date: October 04, 2016 04:01PM

Anyone still on here now that the MB went underground?
https://s11.postimg.org/xko29q36r/dlxmbug.jpg

-Blank Space

The Artist formerly known as

Re: Welcome to the underground
Posted by: CocoMcPuffs (68.190.40.---)
Date: October 04, 2016 06:08PM

Nall

Posted by: Pickles (208.107.44.---)
Date: October 05, 2016 01:40AM

MBAFTERDARK

Posted by: bad seed (67.217.13.---)
Date: October 05, 2016 10:12AM

So Dostoyevsky, bro

Posted by: frankensteindlx (173.8.159.---)
Date: October 05, 2016 11:51AM

i tried to talk them out of it.... but we are lucky to still have it BTW,

response from higher up's: people still use the MB?
Me; yeah like maybe 10 of us...
them: request denied....

Date: October 05, 2016 12:04PM

This is what the MB needed, its like the dark days of skating, everything was more pure.

FTW.

frankensteindlx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i tried to talk them out of it.... but we are
> lucky to still have it BTW,
>
> response from higher up's: people still use the
> MB?
> Me; yeah like maybe 10 of us...
> them: request denied....

-Blank Space

Posted by: Stew (141.110.189.---)
Date: October 05, 2016 12:54PM

they clearly didn't like our independent thought... We should consume their media and not be writing our own version.

Thrasher, TSM, TWS, et al are bullshit trade publications where advertisers control content. Some of the content is rad, sure. But much of it is focused on a far too narrow demographic because doing so is much easier.

I understand taking it down, it is dead, and that billionaire set up a much broader platform for the same purpose.

May your decision to go underground prove wise! No hard feelings.

Date: October 05, 2016 01:32PM

I work for a company in the action sport arena too, not deluxe. Our desperate sales team forces us conform to the buyers at shop level or their little agends who are for the most part pretty fucking lame.

Our company was made great by leading with original shit but now we are slowly fading... it may mean quick dollars now but in the longterm not gonna memorable.

-Blank Space

Date: October 05, 2016 01:35PM

Cheers to all the 5 duds still on here. sweat tims aheads bros.

-Blank Space

Posted by: Pickles (70.198.3.---)
Date: October 05, 2016 03:55PM

They tried shutting tha mb down!?

Posted by: wonderbread (50.1.80.---)
Date: October 06, 2016 12:31AM

The first thing that pops up when I type "D" into Google Chrome is the MB

Posted by: ween (40.130.16.---)
Date: October 06, 2016 06:49AM

THA MB 4 LIF

Posted by: Stew (141.110.189.---)
Date: October 06, 2016 07:23AM

About a month ago I got really injured and its forced me to sit and think for a while.

there is a renaissance coming. thanks to the web and such I am seeing more and more small batch craft wood coming to market. The boards are unique and, often, can be ordered to your (my) specs. They guy who makes my boards does so by hand, he delivers them, sometimes, in person. They are built like nothing else. I recently stood on a welcome, you know, from PS Stix (same as like 100 other brands) and it felt like a weak toy. It is happening everywhere. Big names are still good, no doubt, but they're marketed terribly, made as cheaply as possible (at least the ones for sale at shops), often don't resemble the boards the actual pro rides (Gonz, for example), and they are sized to sell in quantity to a demographic who is much lighter and shorter than I am. I know they function, its clear when you see a 22 year old who's 5 ft. 3 inches tall but to be honest, in my sagging old age I look at a 8.25 popsicle and it looks outright stupid and tiny.

I'd love to see a magazine that covers skating to write about this but we won't, because the advertisers control content.

I believe skatepark construction companies have divided the country into territories and that they routinely overbid and underbuild. I can see that the work is hard, and no one wants to be away from home in some dump of a town, and maybe the guys should get paid more but what is happening, if I am right, is costing skaters in terrain and forcing cities to rethink.

Our park was built by one of the big names but, in reality, one guy came here and hired like 7 locals from the nascent local DIY project. They got robbed in terms of pay and the city and skaters got robbed in terms of terrain. Where is that article? In a place like Colorado where the scenery is great, the pot shops are open until 10, the women fit and young, and the builders have homes and plan to actually ride what they built you see flawless and ample terrain. So, in flyover country we beg and scramble for a big name to do that here and we get a wipeout boozehound who leaves the project as early as possible and who couldn't care less about the kinks or cracks or slumps or whatever. And they won't be back for maintenance either. Tonight I'm hosting a meeting for a local skatepark expansion and, so far, I haven't been able to get any response from any of the big name builders. Is my project too small? I think so... and its not in Oregon, Florida, Colorado, or along any beach.

My skating is what it is. I can't measure up any longer. Not to the insane standards in the magazines. I've decided not to read them any longer. I don't care if CJ collins wants to flip the coin on whether or not he will be paraplegic or not (kickflip into the Vans Square). Go for it kid, and when you get hurt, unless you are john cardial (who deserves it all) you will be dropped and forgotten and replaced overnight and lance mountain will still have a pro model.

So its fitting that this mb goes "underground" in the sense that my toxic opinions won't be perused by whatever kid is looking for the latest spitfire graphic. I have no plans to ever again open a magazine and I've basically gotten so bored with the video coverage, and I know the skating is amazing, because its frankly impossible for me to even comprehend any longer. I broke my humerus bone falling 7ft from an extension. How the fuck can I appreciate pedro's padless 10 foot high 540 or anything approaching a gap of more than 5 stairs? That's just all too nuts now. I don't need skating to impress me and it owes me nothing.

This is what its like at the end. I will still skate for sure, but without any influence from the media or industry.

Posted by: Joon525 (65.51.254.---)
Date: October 06, 2016 08:46AM

Still floating around here...

Posted by: bad seed (67.217.13.---)
Date: October 06, 2016 09:50AM

Ayo, Stew... move to Colorado, think of all the words you will save.

[www.recolorado.com]

Posted by: reckless life (76.254.24.---)
Date: October 06, 2016 07:05PM

out here wiggling about

Posted by: Stew (99.183.186.---)
Date: October 07, 2016 03:27AM

Ok. Last night at this park meeting there was a young lady who said she'd already been in contact with DLX about the project and you all were on board with helping out with this or that for raffles and fundraising. All she had to do was to say the word... it's a small world. I'd never met her. Maria something. Thank you in advance.

Posted by: oakstbomber (99.74.217.---)
Date: October 07, 2016 08:50PM

I lurk, but don't write

Posted by: stick (24.79.148.---)
Date: October 10, 2016 09:49AM

hurt again through most of the summer, I skated less this year than I have in a long time. I hate it. MB lurkage seems to correlate directly with how much I skate. Thats my excuse. I still cruise by. erspect duds.

Posted by: Joon525 (65.51.254.---)
Date: October 11, 2016 09:48AM

stick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hurt again through most of the summer, I skated
> less this year than I have in a long time. I hate
> it. MB lurkage seems to correlate directly with
> how much I skate. Thats my excuse. I still cruise
> by. erspect duds.

That pretty much sums up my stance as well (especially the skating less part which I'm not proud of).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.